Thursday, December 28, 2006

With No Regrets

 


I kept hitting the lid in jump after jump after jump


Like a flea trained in a jar


I found I amounted to nothing


I was convinced I couldn't get far


I stared at my own glass ceiling 


And thought I'd never get over that bar


 


The sky was only a distant round hole


At the top of my well


My world stretched from my feet


To the roof of my coconut shell


There was no point to try harder


As I knew I'd be sure as hell


Wouldn't' grow taller than my grandfather


 


I struggled to spread my wings


Knowing first I had to get on my feet


I found the courage to try something else


While my dreams remained in the backseat


Overtaken by the cares of making a living


Making sure the kids have enough to eat


And have a decent education


 


But I wasn't satisfied


 


Until I could make something of myself


I didn't care to look in the mirror


At the stranger who didn't reflect me


And say to the lonely loser


Be what you wanted to be


The weary and worn-out looking mask


That's not the face I wanted to see


 


I wanted to see a face reflecting the light


I longed to see a face full of cheer


I imagined an image full of confidence


Not a shadow cowering in fear


 


But now


 


Knowing I've done only what was right


And having everything I hold dear


I've harnessed all that I came with


Not comparing myself with any peer


Still plodding on through this road of life


And got this far with a conscience so clear


 


And above all


With no regrets


 

No comments:

Post a Comment