Friday, December 22, 2006

Modern slavery

 


I must have said this many times before but in different ways and dialects.  Malaysians are being enslaved by their own automobiles. 


 


We start working to carve out a career and then spend the rest of our lives paying the banks for a succession of cars we need to take us to and from work and other places and run our daily errands.  What a price we have to pay for mobility, and to keep our family from the rain and shine and to avoid using the shabby public transportation.  Last I heard it wasn't getting any better.  Feel sorry for the folks poorer than me who can't afford even to be enslaved by a car.


 


Yesterday (I mean last night) I signed 15 pages of blank documents just for a bank loan for a new car.  If any of those pages is a Trojan I'd be a sitting duck.  It was done 'cloak & dagger' style at a restaurant car park with his car bonnet for a desk.  The loan officer couldn't find my house in the dark.  They're getting aggressive for new business, these banks.  The last time I bought a car I had to take a whole day off and go all the way to the bank and wait for the guy to fumble around in his office for the papers while I twiddled my thumbs.  They also scrutinized carefully every document I produced.  And then the interest rate was sky high. 


 


Pardon my complaining.  It must be the mood I'm in. 


 


Switch my thoughts to the folks down south.  Many have abandoned their cars in flooded neighborhoods and are now clamoring for higher grounds looking for anything that can keep them afloat and warm.  Heard say that they didn't have it this bad since 20 years ago. 

9 comments:

  1. last I heard from the radio early this week was its a once in a hundred years thing!

    Congrats on your new car! Nonetheless hope u took up the supplemental insurance which covers floods & riots & windscreen for added protection to you new car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just wanna say thanks for everything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myvi 1.3 manual. After considering all the others, they're either too expensive or too impractical for me. This one has all the plus points; cost effective to run, compact, and because it's popular, maintenance & spare-parts later won't be an issue. Besides, it has the backing of a Toyota quality engine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manual//Auto fine with me as long as the car had low fuel consumption is my first choice.. fuel going to get expensive.. and not the car price any more...

    ReplyDelete
  5. aiyooo.... for those who living in KL, i think they know how the toll fees gone up.. from Rm1.00 previously per toll, become Rm1.60.. and from RM0.50 going up to RM1.00. Some work place need to pass two tolls, everyday spending RM7 to RM8 on toll fees. Luckily my office just 10 minutes from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. heard that this coming sunday will have a gathering in front of sunway pyramid to object the toll rise..

    ReplyDelete
  7. ya.. i heard that too. if i have no baby beside, i may join. ha! but going to sunway will make me pay few toll fees . :P

    ReplyDelete