Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Greed

One of the seven deadly sins is giving in to greed. 

Once you start taking what you don't earn from an honest day's work or a legitimate deal you get deeper into it.  And it's habit forming too. 

Unfortunately there are many nowadays who have no qualms about doing it.  Even those in public service.  When you're in that kind of thing it's difficult to get out.  There's no turning back.  They won't let you because you could squeal and give them away.  So they string you along with extra perks.  In the end it's like having sold yourself.  You're a slave to graft.  It becomes a way of life.  You keep doing it and you become pretty slick.  You start to believe you're pretty smart.  You cover your tracks well.

But one day you make a slip.  You think your so-called friends are covering your flanks for you.  You overlook some small detail.  But your friends think you're losing it.  You're getting too fat for your own good.  You let your guard down.  For you, they decide it's over.  You've become an excess baggage.  The public outcry is too loud.  Citizens are outraged.  The carpet's too small to cover your dirt. 

They let you walk into that trap...



8 comments:

  1. Does small favors, gifts lead to bigger take? You will know when it happens, when the giver is asking some favor in return. I agree with you, only way out is to cut the strings when they are still strings and not when it turns to cables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha... I thought of this write up because I caught this rat raiding my foodstuff in the kitchen. If he'd stayed in the ceiling where he belongs without disturbing me, I'd let him be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greed knows no bounds! I caught this civet cat, musang, un-expectedly in my attic! Will mail you the photos separately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. saw the pix. big guy. completely fill up the trap!!!
    I caught a smaller one some time ago. this guy loves Julie's crackers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... aren't these animals just trying to eat to survive? When I visited Alaska many years ago, I saw polar bears rummaging through the trash in people's yards. yeah they messed up the place alright and people scared them off with gunshots but I felt sorry for them. Their natural food supply had dwindled - our own doing of course - and they had nowhere else to turn to. The sight of a bear cub scrounging through a McDonalds throwaway with its mother did it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too true, my friend. This poor chap has always been used as a metaphor. Can't use a living example without risking a court case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too true, my friend. Metaphorically, this poor chap has always been the fall guy. Can't use a living example without risking a court case.

    ReplyDelete